As a major forgings supplier to customers based around the United States, Philadelphia Forgings is pleased to supply products forged from a variety of materials, including aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, nickel alloy, and more. Aluminum is an excellent material for forged products because it provides an excellent combination of low weight, high strength, and aesthetic appearance.
Properties of Aluminum Forgings
The most widely-used metal in the world, aluminum is light in weight, silvery-gray in appearance, and is the second most malleable metal after gold. Most of the aluminum metal used today is actually an aluminum alloy; pure aluminum is used only where corrosion resistance is more important than strength. Alloy elements are often added to aluminum to increase its hardness. About one third as dense as most types of steel with a good strength to weight ratio, aluminum exhibits excellent corrosion resistance due to its protective oxide layer and is also extremely durable.
Philadelphia Forgings supplies forgings in a variety of aluminum grades including the following:
- 2014 is a precipitation hardened alloy. Its forgings achieve a high level of strength after heat treatment and are used in the frame structure of trucks and aircraft.
- 6061 is one of the most common aluminum alloys and is capable of being hot forged into a variety of automotive, marine, and structural components.
- 7050 is a heat treatable aluminum alloy. With good resistance to stress corrosion cracking, 7050 aluminum forgings have good mechanical properties such as toughness and strength.
- 7075 exhibits high levels of strength as well as good mechanical properties at lower temperatures. 7075 aluminum forgings are commonly used for aerospace and air craft structures.
- 7079 has a yield strength that is higher than those of most other aluminum alloys. 7079 aluminum forgings exhibit good mechanical properties and are often used in structural applications where light weight is critical.
Based in the Northeast, Philadelphia Forgings is proud to supply superior forged products in aluminum and many other materials to regional customers in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware as well as national customers based anywhere in the United States. Call Philadelphia Forgings to learn more about our high quality products or please visit the Request a Quote for Forgings page.